Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween and Meaning

On this day, three years ago, I found out that I was pregnant with Barrett. It's one of those memories that will live as if it were yesterday FOREVER. I had a cold, and my period was late. I went to Walgreens and bought cold medicine, and a pregnancy test. The checker was a friendly woman, who was dressed as Elvis. I will never forget our conversation.
Elvis lady: I will always remember when I first found out I was pregnant. My breasts were sore, and I thought I had the flu. You know how your breasts get sore when you have the flu?
Me: NOD +SMILE....."my boobs have NEVER been sore with the flu. BUT,my boobs sure are sore now" I think to myself.
Elvis lady: Then I took a pregnacy test and found that I was pregnant.
Me: Well.....this is not exactly planned, but...
Elvis lady: (interrupting me) Oh. Well, you can never plan for it, honey.
Me: It would be okay......but.....

The Elvis lady finishes checking me out.

Elvis Lady: Good luck to you
Me: Thank you.

I sit in my car, and I know that I am pregnant. The test is not is only verification when I get home and it ptactically screams "PREGNANT" moments later. The tears roll from shock, then the tears roll from joy. I am so thankful for my beautiful boy.

No comments: