Monday, April 20, 2009

Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain


Genetics are a funny thing. Unexpected outcomes reveal themselves in the delivery room. An example of this is the fact that I have red hair and no one else in my family does. My mom is a raven haired beauty and my dad has dark blond hair. My grandmother, who had always wanted redheaded children, was pleasantly surprised when I was born.
Gunther has VERY blue eyes and they don't seem to be changing at all. This is odd, since I have brown eyes and Jason has hazel eyes. Yes! He is Jason's child. He looks just like Jason, but with red hair and blue eyes. One of Jason's friends asked me if the Schwan's man had blue eyes the other day. He was joking.....BUT let me say this: If I was giving the Schwan's man an extra "tip", wouldn't we at least be getting some free ice cream out of the deal? A frozen pizza perhaps?
I know that there is a chance that Gunther's eyes will still change, and that would be fine. I do love his steely-blue eyes (I also love Barrett's lovely mossy-brown eyes). Jason always sings "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" by Willie Nelson to him. I think it's the sweetest thing. The other day we were in the car and "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" came on. "Gunther! It's your song." Jason exclaimed as he cranked up the volume.
My mom mentioned that my Pop-pop had blue eyes. I like to think that Gunther's blue eyes are Pop-pop's genes surfacing. I loved my Pop-pop. He died when I was seven, but I have fond memories of him. I like being able to look at my son and think of him. I would like for my son to have his qualities, aside from appearance. I hope that the blue eyes are accompanied by Pop-pop's kindness, and his loving, accepting nature.

3 comments:

Alabaster Mom said...

Amen to that. I took Blondie to Harper's Ferry on Saturday and told her that Pop-Pop would have loved showing her around up there. I am sorry that our children will never know him.

The Rose Queen said...

:o) Did you know that I have hazel eyes and my hubby has green...and all 3 of my girls have BLUE!!! Eh, at least they are a pretty blue, lol.

Iluska Ikeda said...

In our case, genetics on my hubby's side is too strong. She came out looking just like her Japanese daddy. If she hadn't come out of my belly I would demand a maternity test, haha. (^_^)